What is a comprehensive Definition of Metabolic Syndrome?
What is a comprehensive definition of Metabolic Syndrome or MetX?
Metabolic syndrome, also known as Met X or Syndrome X, is a group of conditions that occur together, increasing the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. These conditions include:
- Abdominal obesity: This is measured by the waist circumference, which should be less than 40 inches for men and less than 35 inches for women.
- Elevated blood pressure: This is defined as having a blood pressure of 130/85 mmHg or higher.
- Elevated fasting blood sugar: This is defined as having a fasting blood sugar level of 100 mg/dL or higher.
- Elevated triglycerides: This is defined as having a triglyceride level of 150 mg/dL or higher.
- Low HDL cholesterol: This is defined as having an HDL cholesterol level of less than 40 mg/dL for men or less than 50 mg/dL for women.
Having any three of these conditions is considered to be metabolic syndrome. It is important to address these conditions and make lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of developing more serious health problems. Your Remote Monitoring Program with your Provider is an important monthly touchpoint to be sure you are meeting your health goals!